MAY IS ASTHMA AND ALLERGY AWARENESS MONTH

DO YOU KNOW WHAT’S LURKING IN YOUR HOME’S INDOOR AIR?




With Spring comes itchy eyes, runny noses, sneezing, coughing, and even hives, wheezing, and difficulty breathing for some. According to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA), more than 60 million Americans suffer from asthma and/or allergies.


Most folks tend to think of the great outdoors as the source for most allergens. While many seasonal allergies are generated by pollen and other outdoor nuisances, our homes harbor all sorts of indoor allergens. Many of these can cause chronic suffering and asthma, especially for those who are more susceptible, like young children and the elderly, or anyone who suffers from respiratory problems or auto-immune disorders. With simple everyday activities, we generate all sorts of contaminants and air pollutants like dirt, dust, pet dander, cigarette smoke, and chemicals to be found in your indoor air. But mold is perhaps one of the most bothersome of all allergens. Mold and mildew can lurk all around your home, and if left undetected or ignored, mold growth can turn into a serious issue, not only for the structure of your home, but for the health of those living under its roof.


Signs of Mold

Just because you can’t see mold, doesn’t mean it’s not there. If any of these signs appear in your home, it may be an indicator that mold is somewhere nearby:

  1. Water: Although mold and its spores can be anywhere, active mold growth requires moisture. Whether on visible surfaces or hiding behind drywall, in attics, or under carpets, indoor mold grows in the presence of dampness and/or water.

  2. Humidity and Condensation: Humidity or water vapor in the air can sometimes supply enough moisture for mold to thrive and grow. If your home feels humid, or you notice an abundance of condensation, your home is a prime environment for mold growth.

  3. Odor: That strange, earthy smell in your home that won’t go away, no matter how much air freshener you spray? Mold may be at the root of the issue! Microbial volatile organic compounds (MVOCs) are gases produced by mold. They cause that musty odor you smell from mold.

Call North GA Mold and Air Duct Cleaning at 706-400-0866 if you suspect you might have mold. We will be glad to come out and do a visual inspection and provide you with a quote to remediate the problem.

8 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All